The first step in knowing how to grill chicken in oven is getting the necessary ingredients to prepare the Nigerian spicy chicken.
Chicken is one of the most consumed meat form in Nigerian homes and is no doubt one of the most used when it comes to the preparation of Nigerian recipes, especially the Rice and stew recipes that tastes delicious.
The Nigerian chicken drumsticks are one that can be consumed as a snack and accompanied with a chilled drink of Zobo, soft drink or wine.
How to Grill Chicken
But first… You need to learn about the Ingredients
Ingredients For Grilled Chicken Recipe
Seasoning your chicken makes it very tasty and you should also prepare it in such a way that a one-look and you want to take a bite.
It takes a couple of ingredients to have a seasoned chicken. Most people think you have to add every spice you come across alongside stock cubes to make your chicken tasty. This is untrue! Why? Because seasoning your chicken excessively takes away the natural flavour of the chicken.
Below are the primary ingredients and spices you will need to make your chicken taste like heaven!
- Chicken: The female version (Hen; female chicken) is tastier and tougher than cockerel (male chicken) so when you go to buy chicken, ask your meat seller or grocer for the hen. This is known as Gallina in Spanish.
Economically, buying a whole chicken and cutting it up in pieces helps save you some cash. Plus, it’s cheaper and you have more parts to play it.
- Onions: Red, White, or yellow onions. When seasoning chicken, Onions are very important.
- Thyme: its aroma makes the grilled chicken tastier. Overall, it adds to the aroma.- how to grill chicken!
- Stock cubes: Knorr or Maggi are two brands that does magic to all Nigerian recipes; making them taste best.
- Salt: Salt should be added sparingly and be added when the chicken is done. Avoid adding salt to raw chicken. See notes below for more information on why adding salt too early is bad to your chicken or beef.
Rather than deep-fry, you should grill your chicken.
READ MORE: How to make Egg rolls With Pictures [Plus Video]
Follow the steps below to uncover how to make Nigerian pepper chicken:
How to Grill Chicken in oven
- You should first cut up the whole chicken to desired pieces and shapes.
Most meat sellers or grocers will take care of this part for you.
- Place the chicken in a pot; add thyme, stock cubes and onions.
- Pour enough water to just cover the contents of the pot and start cooking.
- Because the hen skin is tougher, it takes quite some time to get it well cooked. Most times, I have discovered that it takes 1 hour 15 minutes on medium heat with a normal cooking pot to get my desired result; yours might take more or less. Your gas cooker heating may take less. Also it will take even less time if you use a pressure cooker, so keep an eye on it so that it does not get too soft.
- Once the chicken is done, add some salt sparingly, cover the pot and leave to simmer for about 2 minutes.
We advised you not to add salt because salt toughens chicken and other meat skin. Thereby, increasing the cook time- how to grill chicken!
- Move the chicken to a sieve to drain.
- Place each piece with love on your oven rack; place the rack as close to the top heater in your oven/grill as possible.
- Switch your oven to “Broil” if you are in the USA, or set to “broil” if you are in other countries and set the temperature to 338°F or 170°C.
- As soon as the top side becomes brown, begin to turn the pieces of chicken on the other side.
READ MORE: How To Use Cutlery
- The Grilled chicken recipe is a success when both sides are brown. This is an indication that both sides are well-grilled.
There you have it- how to make grilled chicken!
How to Make Grilled Chicken
Notes about cooking the chicken:
- Make to add water up to the level of the contents of the pot when cooking the chicken meat.
- At the start of cooking, I always do not add salt to the raw chicken when making the Nigerian spicy chicken because salt closes the pores of the chicken (and infact anything you are cooking), this prevents the natural flavour of the chicken from coming out into the surrounding water and stops the seasoning from entering the chicken to make it even taste better. The result of this? your chicken stock have an artificial taste of seasoning and will lack a rich natural taste.
Adding salt earlier than recommended will harden the chicken and make it take longer time to cook.
I always advocate adding salt when the chicken is done. Although lots of people will disagree saying that: “chicken tastes better when the salt is added”. However, there is a huge difference between a rich taste and a salty one. I believe that the natural flavour of the food gives it a rich taste and nit salt plus other seasoning.
Salt prevents the natural flavour from manifesting. So do not add it early. And remember, stock cubes already contain salt so you see; more salt is really not needed.
- I’m not a fan of the Nigerian curry powder when it comes seasoning the grilled chicken meat; it gives the chicken an artificial overpowering taste and a whole new colour. You can add the curry powder to stews you use the beef or chicken for. But if you wouldn’t mind the colour and taste change, feel free to add the Naija curry when streaming the chicken or beef.
We at HelloFood Nigeria are committed to sharing you the best Recipes known to man.
Also, You will agree with me that following our guide on how to grill chicken in gas oven or normal oven indoor or outdoor is really simple, straight forward yet helpful. We might share a blog post on how to make Nigerian barbecue sauce and how to make Nigerian pepper chicken in our next blog post.