Discover how to make nigerian barbecue sauce with our easy to follow guide. It takes less than an hour from start to finish?
But first… Let’s talk about this month’s weather. It has been really hot in the past few weeks. I’m pretty sure we’ve hit 43 degrees; it’s really painful and eye watering. To make matters worse, the air was still (even till now). It feels like the air has left our shores.
You will always hear water running in the bathroom during the day even with constant power supply. It feels like hell. Can’t wait for the cold months to return!
This how to prepare Barbecue sauce recipe was inspired by a blog post I stumbled upon online. Can you imagine how crazy this barbecue sauce Nigeria Recipe must sound.
READ MORE: How to Cook Nigerian Vegetable Stew
I know what you are thinking– No, the chicken did not taste like coke (even though I would have loved that). The taste is somewhat similar to caramel + stickiness; an absolute heavenly taste!
Forget the barbecue sauce popularly sold in the market. This one is both local and just absolutely foodtastic.
It gets better
Ensure you save some to use for yam, dodo and chip dips (you would come back here to thank me later). The best feeling is when it is used to make chicken barbecue.
The average Nigerian can relate to how Suya and Coca Cola go together like 5 and 6, this is even better!
How to Make Nigerian Barbecue Sauce
This particular barb sauce is created through a combination of Coca Cola and Yaji
In my tongues voice: It is a sticky, earthy, smoky barbecue sauce that combines the best parts of reduced cola and the spiciness of Yaji,
Ingredients| Preparation: 2 Mins| Cook Time: 30 Mins| Total time: 32 Mins| Serves: 5
- Coca Cola (750 Ml)
- Optional- 1 tbs of Honey; it makes the Nigerian grilled chicken sauce sticky
- Suya Spices/Yaji (3 tablespoons. You might opt to adding more, but ensure yaji doesn’t take over this sauce
- Ground Tatashe a.k.a Ata Lilo (Romano pepper/red bell pepper) and ata rodo (Habanero pepper/sctoch bonnet pepper)
- a knob of butter
- 2 stock cubes (Chicken flavoured)
- A pinch or two of salt
How do you make barbecue sauce for Chicken?
Read the instructions below on how to make Nigerian pepper chicken sauce
Instructions on How to Prepare Barbecue Sauce
- Grab a pot and empty the coca cola content into the pot, add the Ground pepper/Ata Lilo and begin to stir- how to make nigerian barbecue sauce!
- Add in the butter
- Grab the honey and add it in
- Add the Yaji, stock cubes, and salt
- With all the contents in, begin to stir, let it cook till it reduces in size while occasionally giving it a stir.
- You should turn off the heat sauce once it coats the back of your spoon
This ensures that it is not too thick, because you are going to use it to marinade the chicken, and you would love it to penetrate the flesh.
READ MORE: How to Make Vegetable Sauce For Yam
Plus, it is not too watery because it is a sticky sauce that should cover and stick to the chicken while it grills and not spill unto the hot coals below.
Now that you know how to make Nigerian barbecue sauce recipe, I hope you will be trying it out soon. If you’d be eating this sauce alongside yam and would love to get the perfect looking chips use a French Fry Slicing disc, or a Kenwood Food processor and Voila! You get perfect looking chips.